Friday, April 27, 2012

Action Research Plan

Any and all feedback is greatly welcomed!


Goal: Will implementing a leadership council and program in the athletic program have a positive effect on discipline and character issues?



OUTCOMES
ACTIVITIES
RESOURCES/ RESEARCH TOOLS NEEDED
RESPONSIBILITY TO ADDRESS ACTIVITIES
TIME LINE
Benchmarks/
ASSESSMENT
Revisions to SIP/PIP based on monitoring and assessments
Analyze discipline problems over last year
Coaches and administrative collaborative meeting
Discipline records of reports within athletics and on HS campus
Principal, Athletic Director, Barrier
July 2012
Type minites and finding to share with members of meeting

Adapt and revise SLC’s leadership program to fit needs of Athens
Collaborative meeting with all coaches
SLC’s leadership program documents
Athletic Director, Barrier
August 2012
Produce a final overview and document

Gain community and parental support for Leadership Program
Have a parent meeting introducing leadership program and benefits
Power point presentation, facility for meeting
All Coaches-led by athletic director
August 2012 (prior to 2 a days)
Parental feedback and surveys

Introduce Program to Student Athletes
Team meeting discussing qualifications required for leadership council
Power point presentation, video testimonials for SLC athletes
All Coaches- led by Barrier
August 2012
Athlete feedback and response

Nominate and elect leadership council
Team will nominate and vote on leadership council
Team meeting, voting criteria, meeting and training with council canidates
All coaches led by athletic director and Barrier

August/September 2012
Council nominations, meeting outcomes

Collaboration and communication between student athletes and coaching staff
Leadership council and coaches meetings
Meeting rooms and times, agenda
All coaches led by athletic director and
Barrier
September 2012-April 2013
Student feedback and issues resolved/discussed at weekly meetings

Students learn leadership characteristics and how to be a leader in difficult situations
A series of meetings to teach students what a leader is and how to be a positive role model using positive peer pressure
Councilor, college athlete testimonials, local community leaders testimonials
Barrier will set up meeting times and recruit speakers for each meeting
October 2012-March 2013
Students surveys after each meeting

Determine is Leadership Program has been a beneficial addition to the athletic program
Analyze and compare discipline reports.
Discipline report data, coaches input forms, teacher input forms, principal input forms, student/athlete input forms
Barrier will collect all information and all coaches will meet with Athletic director to discuss the findings
April/May 2013
Data comparison, input forms

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ned,
    Thanks for looking at my blog. I think your plan looks great. It is clear and well organized. I like your idea of the leadership counsel and the collaboration between student athletes and coaches.
    I posted my answer to your question on my blog but I am including it here too.
    I think you can use names or titles. I found names to be easier and less confusing for me. Also, I have worked with the people I mention for a long time so I am actually on a first name basis with all of them. I think you can do what is comfortable for you.
    I too found Dr. Mason's comments about evaluations very helpful.
    Best,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be a wonderful benefit to anyone's school. There are so many kids in school that need more positive things in their lives. Maybe if they were given responsibilties and knew others were looking up to them, their behavior would improve. Some of these kids are just looking for the positive direction in their lives.
    Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a high school coach myself, I am very interested in your findings. It seems that you have a well thought out plan. I feel that a leadership council in athletics could help positive peer pressure. I really like the activity of bringing in speakers to teach students how to lead in difficult situations. I have so many captains that don't know how to seperate leadership qualities from upsetting friends. I also feel that kids sometimes respond better when they know that their peers don't agree with their actions. I will be following your research. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a coach and may sound ridiculous here. I'm wondering if it would be better, or worse, for you to select the athletes yourselves as coaches? The reason I ask is because the students will probably nominate and elect students that they already see as leaders. I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to look for "potential" leaders. Athletes that you think that with the right push and education will develop into leaders. Students that show a lot of leadership qualities usually get those from other activities outside of school, like church or boy/girl scout, etc. What about the ones that just need that someone to believe in them and see that leadership in them. I would also think it would be beneficial to your whole athletic department and school if more of your students would learn to become leaders and get this opportunity. You may have a limit and this thought would not work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ned,
    Julie does have a good point. You might want to have some students on the council nominated by the coaches and others by the students. There is nothing wrong with pre-establishing the criteria for a certain % or number of the leadership team. For example, there could be a certain number nominated by students, by faculty, by coaches, or even by grade level. Many community boards are constructed in that manner. Just something to think about.
    Dr. Mason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the suggestions. I have never thought about allowing the faculty or staff to choose a portion of the leadership council. I guess I was thinking since the criteria for being nominated would be enforced (grades, discipline history, and teacher referrals) that there wouldn't be a need. I do see that this could be a safeguard to make sure that appropriate leaders are placed in the correct positions. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete